[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Discussion about how to add a new PRIMITIVE_TYPES to rosidl(msg)

Mikael Arguedas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 19:50:52 UTC 2018

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:4, topic:4607"]
As mentioned above I am in favor of mapping byte[] In Python to bytes instead of a list of integers.
[/quote]

Currently,  in Python, `byte[]` maps to a list of `builtin.bytes` (each list element being of length 1). And I agreed with you it could be just `builtin.bytes` and not a list.

My understanding is that the proposal from @Zongpei_Jiang is to map `uint8[]` to `builtin.bytes` as several ROS 1 messages use uint8[] to send binary data around. So this is a different proposal I think, and I'm not sure that this should map to `builtin.bytes` in that case.

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:4, topic:4607"]
Instead the existing mapping (see http://design.ros2.org/articles/generated_interfaces_python.html) should be re-evaluated. In that process all other language mappings need to be considered too.
[/quote]

:+1: that's been on our list for a long time but we didn't get around doing it yet.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-about-how-to-add-a-new-primitive-types-to-rosidl-msg/4607/5) or reply to this email to respond.