[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Announcing rosmon - interactive ROS process monitor

Max Schwarz ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 13:42:17 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I want to draw your attention to a nice tool that [we](http://ais.uni-bonn.de) developed and are
using in all our ROS activities. [rosmon](https://wiki.ros.org/rosmon) is a roslaunch-compliant launch
tool for ROS, especially designed for developer friendliness and interactive monitoring of long-running
ROS processes, e.g. for competitions or demonstrations.

Just a short teaser:

 * Start/stop/restart single nodes using a modern console UI, ROS service calls, or an rqt plugin.
 * Attach to a running node process with gdb with two keystrokes. In case your node dies without gdb attached, rosmon automatically collects a core dump and launches gdb against the core dump on request.
 * stdout/stderr are separately captured per process and annotated, ensuring overview (no more 'who is printing this message?').

For details please check out the [ROS wiki page](https://wiki.ros.org/rosmon) - there are many small details which make the life of a ROS developer a little bit easier.

rosmon has been open-source for quite some time (developed for the DARPA Robotics Challenge 2015), but we now provide binary packages through the ROS build farm for ROS Lunar, Kinetic, and Melodic - which is a nice time for an official announcement :-)

We are looking forward to thoughts, feedback, bug reports, or pull requests!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/announcing-rosmon-interactive-ros-process-monitor/4643/1) or reply to this email to respond.