[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Discussion about how to add a new PRIMITIVE_TYPES to rosidl(msg)

Dirk Thomas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 16:31:16 UTC 2018

[quote="Zongpei_Jiang, post:6, topic:4607"]
So thats why i want to create a type like `imguint8` that i can also create a `BytesImage.msg` which use the type to deliver image messages like what `Image.msg` does .
[/quote]

The primitive type should not by specific to what "semantic" data you put in. Therefore `img` is in my opinion a no-go. The same type could also store other binary data.

[quote="Zongpei_Jiang, post:6, topic:4607"]
Just map all the `uint8[]` to `bytes[]` instead of `list[]` may cause other problems since some algorithms are designed using the `msg.data` as `list` in python .
[/quote]

That is why I recommended using `byte[]`.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-about-how-to-add-a-new-primitive-types-to-rosidl-msg/4607/8) or reply to this email to respond.