[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 Navigation Working Group Kick-off

Matt Hansen ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:52:45 UTC 2018

All, here were the notes captured from the first meeting (thanks to @mjeronimo):

	Michael Ferguson

  o	Comment: Task dispatch engine: make this a separate library?

  o	Should implement continuous re-planning in the navigation node

  o	ROS2: compress these modules into same process?

     	Warning: Environmental model across many processes could be performance issue

        	Huge state machine graphs floating around

        	Could we solve with local caching?

    o	Questions

       	Porting A* and DWA or re-implementing? - Mostly porting, with some refactoring

       	Add some unit tests? Yes, we plan to have unit tests

       	Working on a branch, review upon integration into master? Yes we will integrate into master, branch is for temporary / work in progress code

	Timeline?

	December 14th (Dirk mentioned Crystal release)

	Fully working system?

	Default platform? Turtlebot3

	David Lu

o	Sharing of resources

	One node for move base

	Have to pass entire cost map

	Part of the reason to combine it was performance-related

	Overall trade-off between ability control things vs. ability to be modular

	Would we be better off (nav core) not having the cost map object not managed at the high level

	Planner tracking its own cost map

	What you lose is ability to call specific recoveries

o	3D version of DWA :)

	Adam Duncan (Amazon)

o	ROS2 design; fundamentally aren't achievable in ROS2?

o	Any core components missing on ROS2

o	Tf2 message filter

	Ray Cole (Amazon, lead engineer on internal team, ROS)

o	Performance: areas to try to test? Use cases, data flow.

	Something to do early on

o	Introspection into what's going on?  Management console.

	Errors, invalid states

	Productized

	Tom Moore

o	No comments

	Wei Zhi Liu

o	No comments

	Dirk Thomas

o	Overhead between processes

	Could put upper cap on cross-language capability

	Could incur high run-time cost

	Could stay within same language, build into shared libraries

	Shivang Tripathi

o	No comments

	"Steve"

o	No comments