[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Learn about Laser Range Finders with ROS in my Udemy Course

Anis Koubaa ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 16:45:26 UTC 2018

Hi

I am pleased to announce a new major update for course on ROS on Udemy course entitled
**ROS for Beginners: Basics, Motion, and OpenCV**

I have added a new section on how to work with Laser Range Finders (i.e. laser scanner) with ROS. I have demonstrated examples with two real devices namely the Asus Live Pro RGBD camera, and Hokuyo laser range finder.

The content of the new section includes the following:

* Background information on laser range finders and their characteristics
* Overview of main commercially available laser range finder used with ROS
* How to connect an Asus Live Pro camera with ROS using openni2 drivers and how to convert a depth image into a laser scan topic, and how to visualize it with rviz
* How to connect a Hokuyo laser range finder using urg_node driver and how to create a static transform to visualize with rviz
* How to record scan topic data with rosbag, and how to replay and visualize it with rviz
* How to create a subscriber ROS node to scan topic and process scan message to find max, min and average ranges (Python, (and C++ soon))
* How to configure the parameters of laser range finder with ROS (coming soon)

I am planning to add a intrusion detection system project using laser scanner with ROS.

Also, previously a complete new section on OpenCV was introduced and demonstrated 13 different topics.

Next major update will be presentation of transformations with tf package in ROS.

This course is a shortcut for any new ROS user to learn ROS by demonstration and in efficient way.

You can enroll to the course with a discount on
https://www.udemy.com/ros-essentials/?couponCode=ROSDISCOURSE1

 Thanks
Anis

---