[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS-Industrial] Using Safety Protocols with ROS

Thilo Zimmermann ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:20:48 UTC 2018

I would like to refer to the presentation of [Theo Jacobs of Fraunhofer IPA](https://www.ipa.fraunhofer.de/en/expertise/robot-and-assistive-systems/service-robot-technologies/safe-human-robot-interaction.html) on "SAFETY REQUIREMENTS AND STANDARDISATION FOR ROBOTS: SOFTWARE DOS AND DONT" held at [ROS-I Conference **2016**](https://rosindustrial.org/events/2016/11/8/ros-i-developers-web-conference-nov-2016) in Stuttgart, Germany:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51df34b1e4b08840dcfd2841/t/582442f620099e166efe959e/1478771456961/ROS-I-Conf2016-day2-06-jacobs.pdf

--> on slide 9 onwards ("Safe software: Boundaries of the safety-related control system) you can see different the levels of the control system with a OS and middleware level as part of the "sand box" protected safety-related part and an underlying safety-related part.

--> on slide 13, Theo lists "Possible conflicts between open source software and requirements for safe software" where he concludes: Possibly only works for

* Self-contained modules maintained by a small group of programmers

* Verified software versions with change-on-your-own-risk policies

Again, Theo's presentation is from 2016 -- software evolves quickly, and ROS2 and/or other developments might change the conclusions there.

I hope this can answer at least some of your concerns

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/using-safety-protocols-with-ros/5561/11) or reply to this email to respond.