[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Discussion about how to add a new PRIMITIVE_TYPES to rosidl(msg)

johnmark ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 10:55:54 UTC 2018

> Blockquote[quote="Zongpei_Jiang, post:6, topic:4607"]
I agree with that . Just map all the `uint8[]` to `bytes[]` instead of `list[]` may cause other problems since some algorithms are designed using the `msg.data` as `list` in python .
[/quote]

I still think that using `bytes` rather than `list[byte]` would be a good move (at least from IDL `byte[]` types, if not for `uint8[]` types). Yes, it would be a breaking change, but it would be a _good_ breaking change and most dependent code would be very easy to update (and likely get a nice speed boost).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-about-how-to-add-a-new-primitive-types-to-rosidl-msg/4607/9) or reply to this email to respond.