[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Navigation Stack] Maintaining navigation_experimental

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:37:20 UTC 2018

[quote="DLu, post:1, topic:5819"]
The official maintainer for [navigation_experimental ](https://github.com/ros-planning/navigation_experimental) is Dave Hershberger ([hersh at willowgarage.com](mailto:hersh at willowgarage.com)). Since he is A) No longer working on navigation and B) No longer at Willow Garage, its about time to transition the maintainership to someone else.
[/quote]

But his name is still Dave Hershberger, right? Otherwise *all* aspects of the maintainer line would have been false... ;-)

I would be interested in taking over maintainership of `navigation_experimental`. Like many other people, I've had my own fork of `sbpl_lattice_planner` for years, and it's frustrating to see everyone fixing the same bugs over and over again in their forks. It would be great to have an official central repo again, and frequent releases as well. I think I can help with that.

My GitHub username is `mintar`.

To see what I'm getting myself into, I've spent the last couple of hours preparing and submitting a couple of PRs for `navigation_experimental`. With these PRs, the repo is *almost* ready to be released into kinetic.

The remaining outstanding things are:

1. `eband_local_planner` is not catkinized
2. `twist_recovery` and `sbpl_recovery` need to be updated to the new `costmap_2d` API (well, "new"... since Hydro)

Regarding the first point: There is an active fork of `eband_local_planner` from @joq et al. that has already been released into kinetic:

https://github.com/utexas-bwi/eband_local_planner.git

I would suggest to simply remove `eband_local_planner` from `navigation_experimental`, and keep the existing fork.

Regarding the second point: Perhaps it's not a lot of work to convert them, but since I don't use `twist_recovery` and `sbpl_recovery` myself (so I have no idea how to test them), and since nobody seems to have missed them since hydro, I would suggest excluding them from the release (for example, by adding a `CATKIN_IGNORE` file, so that catkin doesn't pick them up). If somebody wants to revive them later, they can still make a pull request.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/maintaining-navigation-experimental/5819/2) or reply to this email to respond.