[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS-Industrial] Fully Open Source (Industrial) Robotics Controller

Jonathan Meyer ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 01:08:28 UTC 2018

I love the idea of an end to end open robot controller. The nature of my work (contract research at SwRI) means that custom hardware is almost never allowed for safety, cost, and support reasons. I think you will find a lot of folks here that have similar restrictions.

What a lot of us _can_ collaborate on is the user facing end of your proposed stack: the programming language, virtual pendant, and communication interface between PC & hardware. I'm just musing now, but recently we've seen more robot vendors provide a "dumb servo" interface to their hardware. We should have (but do not) the basic software in place to easily replicate what robot controllers can do now: jog, point to point move, cartesian move. Save paths, load paths.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/fully-open-source-industrial-robotics-controller/5832/3) or reply to this email to respond.