[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS-Industrial] Fully Open Source (Industrial) Robotics Controller

Víctor Mayoral Vilches ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 09:16:29 UTC 2018

Very interesting topic indeed! Thanks @machinekoder for bringing it up and @fkromer for referring to our previous work (we will release before ROSCon a follow up on that!).

We actually looked at a somewhat similar idea a while ago and have an _inhouse_ prototype that interfaces with two of the most common collaborative robots seamlessly (in our opinion, @shaun-edwards is indeed right about the opportunity here). From a modularity perspective (which is what we're mostly interested in), such a concept (an Open Source (Industrial and **generic**) Robotics Controller) is something very appealing but we did not obtain good input from the robot vendors we spoke with (which I guess was expected).

We already expressed this to @machinekoder directly but to motivate others to contribute, we from Erle Robotics wouldn't mind allocating some resources and contributing with such a project.

E.g.: if there were to be enough interest, we could produce a limited number of our existing _prototype of generic robot controller_  and distribute it to those interested parties.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/fully-open-source-industrial-robotics-controller/5832/5) or reply to this email to respond.