[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] IMcoders: easy-to-install (and cheap) odometry sensors

solosito ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:47:52 UTC 2018

[quote="ruffsl, post:7, topic:5543"]
How are you currently calibrating for the extrinsics of the origin of the IMU sensor with respect to the center of rotation of the wheel axis?
[/quote]

Hey, sorry for the late answer. Due to the youthness of the project and our limitated time for developing, we are not doing right now any kind of calibration. We already considered what you exposed and the intention is to follow that path but just if necessary.

The main goal is to have a system providing an odometry good enough for being used in autonomous navigation among other inputs (e.g., visual odometry, GPS, UWB sensors...). Thus, our developing line is going iteration by iteration checking what's really necessary.

So now going back to the topic, regarding the perpendicularity of the robot axles: that's a good point, for a first approximation, we just assumed that they are perpendicular. Last day we recorded some datasets we are probably checking this weekend.

What we are trying right now is finding out a "ground truth" to compare the output of our algorithm against. For that, we thought about computing a visual odometry using the robot's camera (but we don't know how good it is) or using aruco markers for getting the position of the robot.

Do you think we are following the right path? What would be your proposal given our time restrictions?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/imcoders-easy-to-install-and-cheap-odometry-sensors/5543/8) or reply to this email to respond.