[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROS 2 Crystal Clemmys Released!
ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 01:25:13 UTC 2018
We're happy to announce the ROS 2 release Crystal Clemmys!
<img src='/uploads/ros/original/2X/4/45f8d9c38295dec56ebf74ab68b8d018a47ade9a.png' width="512" height="512" />
Check out our [installation instructions and tutorials](https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/) and give it a try!
We're excited to hear your feedback and the applications that this release will enable!
Our ROS 2 distros, they grow up so fast. With the release of Crystal Clemmys we also bid farewell to [Ardent Apalone](https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Release-Ardent-Apalone/) which will retire with 191 packages, and Crystal is debuting with almost 300 (297 to be precise)!
To get an idea of what's in this release, be sure to read the [Crystal release page](https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Release-Crystal-Clemmys).
A few features and improvements we would like to highlight in this release:
* Actions in C / C++ ([server](https://github.com/ros2/examples/tree/af08e6f7ac50f7808dbe6165f1adfd8e6cd3a79c/rclcpp/minimal_action_server) / [client](https://github.com/ros2/examples/tree/af08e6f7ac50f7808dbe6165f1adfd8e6cd3a79c/rclcpp/minimal_action_client) examples)
* Improvement in memory management
* Introspection information about nodes
* Launch system improvements
* [Nested launch files](https://github.com/ros2/launch/issues/116)
* [Pass params to Nodes](https://github.com/ros2/launch/issues/117)
* Laid the groundwork for [file-based logging and /rosout publishing](https://github.com/ros2/rcl/pull/327)
* [Time and Duration API in Python](https://github.com/ros2/rclpy/issues/186)
* [Parameters work with Python nodes](https://github.com/ros2/rclpy/issues/202)
Crystal Clemmys is the third ROS 2 release and will be supported with bug fixes and platform updates (particularly on rolling dependencies like Windows and MacOS) for one year with support ending in December 2019. While we do aim to keep the API as stable as possible, we can't guarantee 100% API compatibility between releases. Check the [features](https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Features/) page and [ROS 2 roadmap](https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Roadmap/) to evaluate whether or not ROS 2 is ready to be used for your application or if you can switch from ROS 1 to ROS 2 as it will depend on the exact feature set and requirements of your use case.
As always, we invite you to try out the new software, give feedback, report bugs, and suggest features (and contribute code!): https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Contact
We also invite you to release your ROS 2 packages in Crystal! [Here's a tutorial](https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Releasing-a-ROS-2-package-with-bloom) to do so. A huge thanks to all those who've already participated in our [pre-release testing and packaging effort](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-2-crystal-clemmys-call-for-testing-and-package-releases/7072/6).
We would also like to announce the name of the next ROS 2 release scheduled for June 2019:
Your friendly ROS 2 Team
P.S. There's still a couple of weeks left on the [T-Shirt campaign](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-crystal-clemmys-t-shirts-available-until-dec-31st/7086/1).
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-2-crystal-clemmys-released/7137/1) or reply to this email to respond.
More information about the ros-users