[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Should we warn (new) users about difficulties with Python 3 and alternative Python interpreters?

gavanderhoorn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 10:38:34 UTC 2018

I agree with you there are quite some conceptual differences, and the workflows of Python and other languages cannot be considered equal, but it's not about having to run `make`, or having to use a build process.

After following the ROS (Ubuntu/Debian) installation tutorial, opening a text editor and writing your first `rospy`-based script, someone with an Anaconda or a (system managed/provided) Python 3 installation will always run into an `ImportError: No module named rospy` error.

That seems to already confuse new users enough that I was wondering whether we should document it.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/should-we-warn-new-users-about-difficulties-with-python-3-and-alternative-python-interpreters/3874/10) or reply to this email to respond.