[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Should we warn (new) users about difficulties with Python 3 and alternative Python interpreters?

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 08:50:18 UTC 2018

I don't have much to add on top of what @wjwwood says.

A small note on the installation page(s) wouldn't hurt as long as it is discrete enough to not confuse beginners who don't know about the alternative python interpreters.

There is a level that setting up an alternative python interpreter is a moderately advanced topic and if you're choosing to do that you will need to know and understand what you're doing, and it will inherently take more steps.

We do want to make sure to be clear, I think that some well worded questions on answers.ros.org with good answers might be the best approach. The question could aggregate all the right keywords and then provide a full complete answer that then can be referenced from lots of places might be the best approach. Maybe even using different answer to provide different approaches. And if we also go around and cross link to it from many of the other related questions then most people will find it quickly.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/should-we-warn-new-users-about-difficulties-with-python-3-and-alternative-python-interpreters/3874/12) or reply to this email to respond.