[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Announcing ROS Docker Images for ARM and Debian

ruffsl ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 19:34:45 UTC 2018

[quote="gavanderhoorn, post:14, topic:2467"]
Ive always wondered why that was/is done: earlier versions of packages arent retained in reprepro repositories, so wouldnt the Docker build just fail if the package isnt found anymore?
[/quote]

This was done intentionally for the official images just for that purpose.
See the context for the decision here:

https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/pull/751#issuecomment-107786214

> Also, we now pin the version used for each ROS package. Note that however, we are using [reprepro](http://mirrorer.alioth.debian.org/) (a tool to handle local repositories of debian packages), and as in [FAQ 3.1](http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=mirrorer/reprepro.git;a=blob_plain;hb=HEAD;f=docs/FAQ) is limited to one version per architectur. So from the [Repeatability](https://github.com/docker-library/official-images#repeatability) documentation referenced:
>
> > "or the build should fail outright"
>
> Dockerfiles will fail to build until updated once a newer version of a package is released.

[quote="gavanderhoorn, post:14, topic:2467"]
Also: only the top-level metapackage is pinned right?
[/quote]

In the dockerfile for the official images, only the target application focused packages are pinned. There are sometimes other supporting packages installed, but are not necessarily pinned, e.g. `gnupg2`.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/announcing-ros-docker-images-for-arm-and-debian/2467/15) or reply to this email to respond.