[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Is it safe now to port nodelets to components?

William Woodall ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 00:41:15 UTC 2018

I would wait a short time. We are going to be working on roslaunch and the "story" for writing, building, and running (with roslaunch) components in this quarter. With that the CMake and runtime behavior of the components should be better.

The code, however, is unlikely to change much (the way you use the `rclcpp`), perhaps only what macro you call to register the node component.

So with that in mind, you might start migrating anyways, so long as you're willing to do some remedial work on the build system logic.

As a preview, you could have a look at my old prototype (not sure if it is currently working with Ardent):

https://github.com/wjwwood/ros_cmake_auto_examples

It won't be exactly like that, but it might give you an idea of how it might be different from the component's demo we currently have in Ardent.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/is-it-safe-now-to-port-nodelets-to-components/3691/2) or reply to this email to respond.