[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Project Wayfarer

Humpelstilzchen ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 08:54:04 UTC 2018

To underline that Chris architecture is a common one I'll add a draft of [my setup](https://hackaday.io/project/25406-wild-thumper-based-ros-robot) which is similar.

I have a 4wd, so 4 motors to control, they are controlled independently by the 4 PWM outputs of an AVR Atmega. For this I use 4 PID controller, which are all calculated on the AVR. The measurements for the PID comes from the 4 quadrature encoders which are polled in the timer overflow ISR.

The AVR is connected to the computer using a I2C bus. Input is x translation and z rotation parts of the geometry/Twist message. Output of the AVR are the translation (x,y) and rotation (z) parts of nav_msgs/Odometry. The conversion between the I2C protocol and the corresponding ROS message is done with a node on the board computer.

Btw if you don't need much cpu processing you could do everything on a [Beaglebone Blue](http://beagleboard.org/blue). It has an additional real time processor "PRU".

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/project-wayfarer/3659/11) or reply to this email to respond.