[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] RFC on updated REP 111: support wildcard in rosdep rules

Dirk Thomas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 00:36:08 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

A very long time has passed since the `rosdep` YAML format was specified in [REP 111](http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0111.html). For every new distribution which ROS supports the rosdep rules have to be checked / updated and every time we notice that some of the work feels redundant and is only necessary due to the limited expressibility of the format.

Therefore we are proposing a small change to address some of the shortcomings which should reduce the effort necessary to maintain these information. Please see the [current draft](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/153) of the updated REP which adds only two sections to the existing REP 111:

* Wildcard `OS_VERSION`
* Allow `PACKAGE_ARGUMENT` to be explicitly `null`

For more comments, feedback and opinions please comment on the [PR](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/153). Please do *not* reply in this discourse thread since the audience is very big and not everyone might be interested in the discussion of this topic.

There is already a [pending PR](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rosdep/pull/573) for the `rosdep` Python package to implement the proposed enhancements.

Your friendly ROS team

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rfc-on-updated-rep-111-support-wildcard-in-rosdep-rules/3774/1) or reply to this email to respond.