[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Jobs] Software-Engineer – Administration of Software Repositories in Service Robotics @ Fraunhofer IPA, Stuttgart, Germany

Thilo Zimmermann ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 14:19:38 UTC 2018

PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT IS YOUR EXPERTISE? AT FRAUNHOFER IPA IN STUTTGART WE ARE NOW OFFERING AN EXCITING POSITION A

**Software-Engineer  Administration of Software Repositories in Service Robotics**

The department Robot and Assistive Systems at Fraunhofer IPA among others is concerned with the development of service robots for a variety of application areas: from transport systems over mobile handling and inspection robots for industry to personal robots supporting and accompanying humans in their daily life. In order to implement the required technologies and application scenarios, there are numerous software repositories available (see https://github.com/ipa320) that are based on the open source robot operating system ROS. These repositories implement the technologies and application scenarios used on different robots such as Care-O-bot (www.care-o-bot.de/en ) or rob at work (www.rob-at-work.de/en) and are instrumental in yarious national and international research projects.

We would like to reinforce our software administration team and are therefore searching for a software engineer to help maintain those software repositories as well as to support team members, students and external project partners in their use:

*    You are well acquainted with the structure of the software components available in our repositories, their installation and implementation as well as existing internal guidelines for software development

*    You introduce new developers to the software by giving seminars and providing tutorials

*    You are happy to answer any additional questions of our developers and to support them in integrating their software components with the overall software structure

*    You are available as a contact person also for possible extensions of the existing software architecture, for adaptations of interfaces or update of the programming guidelines

*    Using suitable tools, you ensure the consistence and operability of the software and take care to regularly provide software releases

*    You are also able to deploy, set in operation and run the available software components and scenarios on our robots operating robots in public spaces and in direct interaction with humans poses high demands on their software safety and security. Those need to be considered as well as similarly great demands on software quality which results from using the software on different hardware platforms and in public funded as well as industry funded Projects.

**What we expect from you**

 *   Bachelor degree in computer science, informatics or similar

 *   Significant experience in programming in C++ and other high level languages, experience with ROS. Working on (Linux) command-line level is nothing new to you.

*    Significant experience in working with software version control systems (specifically GIT)

*    Extensive knowledge in software engineering and using agile development methods (e.g. SCRUM) and associated development tools

*    You are able to work with good attention to detail and have a high standard for quality

*    You have completed your degree with good results.

*    Good knowledge of the English and ideally the German language allow you to communicate with local and international partners

**What you can expect from us**

* We offer you interesting activities in applied research and development in close contact with industry

* Freedom to implement innovative ideas

* A professional working environment in committed teams

* Excellent array of machines and equipment

In case of identical qualifications, preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.

The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is committed to providing equal career opportunities for men and women.

This vacancy is also available on a part-time basis.

Fraunhofer is Europes largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to peoples needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on peoples lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.

https://www.ipa.fraunhofer.de/en/expertise/robot-and-assistive-systems.html

Please apply via: https://recruiting.fraunhofer.de/Vacancies/33470/Description/2

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/software-engineer-administration-of-software-repositories-in-service-robotics-fraunhofer-ipa-stuttgart-germany/5369/1) or reply to this email to respond.