[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Choice of operating system

Dee ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:25:14 UTC 2018

Given the divergence between Debian and Ubuntu it is, in my opinion, getting quite difficult to see how Ubuntu is Debian based. Yes that base was there for some time in the beginnings (for Ubuntu) but it is increasingly difficult to see today.

Debian should 'just work' but the last time I started experimenting and tried to affect an install I was unable to complete the Debian version where I was able to complete the Ubuntu one.
As I am not at all versed with 'under the hood' skills I quite count on things 'working' so when they don't - - - well then I just can't use that particular software. I have a project where robotics would be quite useful and be quite an interesting addition but just don't have the funds to obtain all commercial items. I am capable of building the physical parts for the robotics but the software si something that I don't really want to have to develop - - - so I'm back to my desire to run ROS on Debian.
Thanks for your input!!!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/choice-of-operating-system/5447/9) or reply to this email to respond.