[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] IMcoders: easy-to-install (and cheap) odometry sensors

solosito ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 09:13:42 UTC 2018

Hello @andreucm,

> Why do not use directly the rotation rate provided by the IMU?

The point is that the gyro provides just a rotational speed measurement, which drifts. The main advantadge of our approach is that, using the gravity, the computed movement can be corrected. For instance, imagine that the algorithm computed that the wheel moved pi/2 but it really moved 3pi/8. At the end of the movement (when the robot is standing still), the gravity will help to correct the movement because it is always point the same way. Further more, during the movement the measured acceleration will always belongs to the inferior semispace (its z component will always be negative), so we even might be able to make some corrections during the movement. But this approximation is still to be tested.

That's the main advantage of having absolute rotation measurements instead of relative ones.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/imcoders-easy-to-install-and-cheap-odometry-sensors/5543/3) or reply to this email to respond.