[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Local roscon benefit

Isaac I. Y. Saito ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:20:07 UTC 2018

I found in https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-jp-2018/4371/2 there will be an inaugural localized version of ROSCon this year, co-hosted by Open Robotics. While I'm definitely happy to see such an expansion, I'm curious what's the expectation out of it from a global community member's perspective.

Looks like the presentation can be done in the local language, which makes me a bit worried that technical and any information won't be easily shared in the global community, unlike all previous ROSCons done in English. I believe a part of the reason why ROS has been so successful, same as some other great OSS projects, is because of the global community, the amount of information stacked there and how amazingly well it's been organized. So I personally think ideally every member gears even more toward the global community. But I know I'm way too narrow-sighted, thus simply curious.

Thank you in advance.
Isaac

P.S. I found there are some studies ([example](https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-319-39225-7_1)) about local OSS community role (but I don't have an access).

---