[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Maritime Robotics] Beta Release of RobotX USV Simulation

Yu Cao ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 23:17:29 UTC 2018

Wow, this is a very cool project. Simulator like this had been in my wishlist for a long time.

I have followed RobotX for a while but didn't get a chance to compete. I finally settled down on an autonomous sailing boat project and had a lot fun with that. Like many other robot project, we test it, break it, and repair it again and again. We found it was really hard to design and implement a physic-based simulator for a sailing boat. Changing wind, wave and tide are difficult to model in gazebo. Now three year past, we had a fortune to earn some titles in the competition and we also learnt a lot. The idea of a simulator comes to my head again especially when I see this nice work.

I wonder how much effort it might take to implement a sailing boat model in gazebo? Does it make sense to include a sailing platform in your simulator?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/beta-release-of-robotx-usv-simulation/4073/2) or reply to this email to respond.