[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROS Answers needs your help

Anfederman ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:32:43 UTC 2018

I have mixed emotions here. When I was a newbie, I used ROS answers often, and I contributed, as the answers created solutions to problems. As my expertise (and I use that term loosely) increased, I found out my questions were not being answered, or answered with a sort of implied " go away don't bother me kid" response. Now I seldom go to ROS answers, preferring to go to the github repositories or known experts, or my friends working in the field. My favorite saying is "ROS has no learning curve, only a learning cliff."  Once you are an experienced cliff diver, you lose interest in telling beginners how to dog paddle.

I think a better set of tutorials like learning ROS with Turtlebot updated for v3, or completely in simulation, would be a better way to answer many of the getting started questions. Perhaps editing and streamlining a FAQ, and segmenting into specialty sections like Vision, Location, Sensors so answers can be found more quickly can help. About 30 years ago I helped develop the first web based ask an expert system. In this system all incoming questions for a single day were routed to a single volunteer 'expert' for that day. That person was responsible for either responding directly, or forwarding to another expert.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-answers-needs-your-help/5147/23) or reply to this email to respond.