[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Buildfarm] Building ROS on Mac in CI

Steve Peters ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:50:29 UTC 2018

I maintain the osrf/simulation tap where I build bottles for gazebo and its dependencies. We use a few mac minis with jenkins for the bottle builds.

I have seen folks attempt to build bottles with travis-ci, though I'm not sure what the current status is:
https://github.com/davidchall/homebrew-hep/pull/114

The biggest challenge with maintaining homebrew bottles on a non-core tap is that your bottles can break at any time if a new bottle is built for one of your dependencies (such as boost or protobuf). I have a daily job that tests one of our gazebo bottles, and then we manually rebuild them if we notice that job failing due to an outdated dependency. We try to stay on top of it and don't see too much downtime, but this is not scalable. I wouldn't want to be in charge of keep homebrew bottles for all of ROS working.
https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/issues/3346#issuecomment-338933110

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/building-ros-on-mac-in-ci/4071/4) or reply to this email to respond.