[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSDUCT: expose remote ROS topics, services and parameters locally thru rosbridge

Sam Pfeiffer ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 09:04:24 UTC 2018

> why keep the json (rosbridge) conversion in there ? It introduces delays, and can be in some cases unneeded (like when someone tries to connect to ROS through MQTT for example)
The ROS not required part is indeed interesting but this could be done without all the web things not sure if it would be better though, but this is one of the pyros intents, treat the web as an option, not the core.

The data needs to be tunneled thru the rosbridge so it needs to be in JSON (the main point for us was that we could not connect to dynamic changing ports, so we cant really send/receive ROS messages otherwise).

> While we start to see a few solutions popping up for ros interoperability over the network, it would be good to have some objective metrics to compare them, even if one is not familiar with ROS or network intricacies There is the usual network metrics (speed, bandwidth), but not only we could imagine other metrics such as resistance to disconnection, speed of connection, etc. maybe something similar to usual game servers ?
Any idea about that ?

Would be cool to have those metrics indeed :) But I currently have no time to make any of my package. The best point to it... is that you can code from your computer like if you had a completely operational ROS (which just happens to be tunneled thru rosbridge).

The rosbridge python implementation is nice, but it's just something we needed to make this work.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosduct-expose-remote-ros-topics-services-and-parameters-locally-thru-rosbridge/4055/4) or reply to this email to respond.