[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Melodic Morenia Buildfarm Available

William Woodall ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:51:28 UTC 2018

Unfortunately, no supporting new Ubuntu release with existing ROS distributions is an explicit anti-goal. This is  because the changes in dependency versions between Xenial and Bionic would often require changes in our packages and new releases of those packages, which is essential the majority of the effort involved in releasing a new ROS distribution.

As an example, the process of getting rviz or moveit released into melodic versus released in Kinetic but on Bionic, is basically the same:

- you need all your dependencies to be {in melodic, re-released into kinetic with bionic support}
- release your package and make sure it works {in melodic, in kinetic on bionic}

The only real difference is that with melodic you need to adjust your code to adapt to changes in your dependencies since the last ROS release, but we try to keep these changes small in the core. So a preference is placed on doing the new ROS distribution rather than forward porting an existing ROS distribution.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/melodic-morenia-buildfarm-available/4248/3) or reply to this email to respond.