[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Canonical built ROS packages?

gavanderhoorn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:45:57 UTC 2018

Jochen: +1 for this effort, but I'm curious: what is your perspective on how to reconcile the (relatively) fast paced development of ROS and its packages with the tendency of Debian (and by extension, Ubuntu to some measure) to favour stable releases over tracking bleeding edge?

Packages released two weeks ago could already be significantly behind current development in some cases, and that would put any stable release into something like Debian at a disadvantage.

I've the impression that PPAs are typically used to bridge the gaps (at least in Ubuntu). Would that be a way to deal with this (perceived) mismatch here as well?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/canonical-built-ros-packages/4316/8) or reply to this email to respond.