[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Handling topic names for secondary IMU and IMU Filter

popenc ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:34:41 UTC 2018

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new when it comes to ROS, so bare with me here if this is a pretty basic question.

To summarize my setup, I'm working with a Clearpath Jackal robot that runs ROS Indigo on Ubuntu 14.05 LTS. On board, the robot has a GPS and IMU unit, and starts up its own ROS components for these sensors as well as a controller node for a bluetooth PS3 controller.

The above works great, but the hurdle I'm running into is when I try to integrate our own IMU unit into the mix, which is a PhidgetSpatial Precision 3/3/3, I believe.

I have a launch file for our IMU that runs a few nodes, and is pretty much the same as this example here: https://github.com/ros-drivers/phidgets_drivers/blob/kinetic/phidgets_imu/launch/imu.launch

The problem I'm running into is getting the IMU filter to subscribe to the Phidget IMU topics. The IMU filter is looking for /imu/data_raw and /imu/mag topics to subscribe to, which are published by the IMU itself. For my case, these two topics are already being published by the default IMU on the Jackal. I'd like to be able to run our Phidget IMU launch file alongside the Jackal's nodes and topics.

I've tried giving the nodes in the Phidget IMU launch file their own namespace, but the IMU filter node never subscribes to the Phidget IMU node's topics.

Here is some additional info to make this a little easier to see what's going on:
**The Jackal's topics at startup:**
> /bluetooth_teleop/joy
> /cmd_drive
> /cmd_vel
> /diagnostics
> /diagnostics_agg
> /diagnostics_toplevel_state
> /feedback
> /imu/data
> /imu/data_raw
> /imu/mag
> /imu/magnetic_field
> /imu_filter/parameter_descriptions
> /imu_filter/parameter_updates
> /jackal_velocity_controller/cmd_vel
> /jackal_velocity_controller/odom
> /joint_states
> /navsat/fix
> /navsat/nmea_sentence
> /navsat/time_reference
> /navsat/vel
> /odometry/filtered
> /rosout
> /rosout_agg
> /set_pose
> /status
> /tf
> /tf_static
> /twist_marker_server/feedback
> /twist_marker_server/update
> /twist_marker_server/update_full
> /wifi_connected

**Goal:**
Have Phidget IMU node publish /phidget/imu/data_raw and /phidget/imu/mag, which the IMU filter subscribes to instead of /imu/data_raw and /imu/mag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I can provide any additional details if needed. It's probably something pretty simple to someone more versed in ROS. I've tried using 'ns' for handling the IMU nodes with a different namespace, and messed around some with 'remap', but haven't had any luck.

thanks!

Nick

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/handling-topic-names-for-secondary-imu-and-imu-filter/4829/1) or reply to this email to respond.