[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Buildfarm] How to configure buildfarm after setting up jenkins?

dotdotdotdash ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri May 18 15:06:40 UTC 2018

I have already asked this question in ros answers. To be on the right group, I'm creating the question here too. This is a continuation of the question that I asked [here](https://answers.ros.org/question/289455/how-to-setup-a-buildfarm-for-my-git-repo/) previously. Step 1 was to basically make jenkins run on master. I was able to achieve that. Now the next step I believe is to configure jobs for the packages that I have built. I understood that I have to edit the configuration files here in this [repository](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/ros_buildfarm_config) but for some reasons the documentation is not so clear on what are the files that should be edited.

So here it goes. This is what I have done so far. I went into this [repository](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/ros_buildfarm/blob/master/doc/index.rst) and forked the ros_buildfarm_config repo to my account according to the instructions [here](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/ros_buildfarm/blob/master/doc/basic_configuration.rst).

1. As I earlier mentioned, let us assume that I'm using kinetic distribution and in the Disable notification of maintainers/committers section, I was asked to set false to all committers which by default was already set to false in all the files. When I say all files, I changed or verified whether they are false in index.yaml, doc-build.yaml, doc-released-build.yaml, release-armhf-build.yaml, release-build.yaml, source-build.yaml inside kinetic folder.
2. Next up was to update administrator notification. I changed the email on all files as said in the previous point.
I want to know whether whatever I did in these two points are correct. If yes, I request you to update the documentation, its totally out of sync and not intuitive.
3. I figured out that the jenkins_url takes the ip address of the master machine and the repo_hostname.example.com simply gets replaced by the repository ip address on all the yaml files mentioned earlier. Is that right ? Also I want to know whether the PGP key used here is the same as the ones used in the buildfarm_deployment_config ?
4. After that I understood that inorder to run jobs on my custom ros package(s) in the buildfarm, I was given two options. One to perform full fork and the another one being add-on fork. As I understood that clearly, I decided to go with option 2 which is Add-on fork so that I don't have to worry about other ROS packages from build.ros.org. Interesting thing here is that I saw that we have to add a tag to custom distribution files. I understand that we have to add those but to what files is not so clear. Also mentioning custom distribution file is not very clear to me.
5. Is there a better way (may be a structural way) to actually tell me, what I should be doing in [Import ROS packages which are not built by the custom build farm](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/ros_buildfarm/blob/master/doc/custom_rosdistro.rst#import-ros-packages-which-are-not-built-by-the-custom-build-farm) ? Like could you be more specific on where should I place the import_distro.yaml file ? May be an example would be great. And also I have no idea how to invoke import_upstream job. Could you please be clear here ?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/how-to-configure-buildfarm-after-setting-up-jenkins/4830/1) or reply to this email to respond.