[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Proposed changes to the ROS releases

Geoffrey Biggs ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue May 29 05:42:31 UTC 2018

[quote="NikolausDemmel, post:14, topic:4736"]
The justification sounds like a technical limitation of the tooling, rather than a desired limitation in the process.
[/quote]

I'm a little concerned about this, too. I would prefer tools be made to fit the process rather than the other way around.

[quote="NikolausDemmel, post:14, topic:4736"]
Releasing a package to the rolling distro would probably mean blooming it. How exactly would packages be transferred from the rolling release to the new LTS and the rolling release after that?
[/quote]

I think that these sorts of issues are why there need to be explicitly defined rules for how packages move between the rolling release and an LTS release, similar to how Debian has rules on things like how long a package must go without any critical bug reports to move into testing. I agree that this is harder to achieve in ROS due to the more distributed nature, but I think that the value in having well-defined criteria for allowing a package into the LTS makes it worth the effort.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/proposed-changes-to-the-ros-releases/4736/15) or reply to this email to respond.