[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Discussion on Rviz rewrite

Patrick Beeson ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu May 31 12:34:36 UTC 2018

Forgive me if Im late on the game on this.  But were there discussions in the past about how to proceed with Rviz in ROS2?   I tried Googling around to see if there were past discussions about breaking from Ogre in an Rviz rewrite but I havent found anything.   Any insight or pointers would be welcome.

Im mostly curious as to why it seems that rviz is being rewritten again using Ogre (at least it appears) and QT, rather than lets say Unreal, which is largely OS independent and already supports QT/OGRE combined functionality in a supported framework.  But unreal also supports AR and VR tools along with many other widgets and plugins.  I realize Unreal has a custom license based on a royalty for commercial applications (thy assume games), but they will customize that individually, and might provide a ROS community license if its in their interest to move into a new domain?

Im not trying to stir up trouble, Im just curious, as we desperately need a fully functional Rviz replacement to move our commercial manipulation stack to ROS2 (which would hopefully then be released publicly as a ROS2 alternative to MoveIt!).  As of now, we either need to wait on Rviz development for ROS2 to get to the ROS1 level of functionality (waiting is not really an option for our customers) or write something ourselves.  In thinking about writing something ourselves, it seemed odd that the new Rviz would not have had some documented discussions on whether to use a newer framework other than Ogre than facilitated faster development and easier cross platform deployment.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-rviz-rewrite/4965/1) or reply to this email to respond.