[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Introduction of Persistent Systems to ROS2 initiative

Rokus ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:13:15 UTC 2018

> * Just plain making a package work in ROS2 is useful, but you should do more than just port. You should take advantage of as much of the new capabilities allowed by ROS2 as possible. This means things like restructuring the design of nodes to be composable, taking advantage of QoS and deciding the best default QoS for each topic, using local parameters, and using read only parameters where it makes sense (when they become available). Once code is available working in ROS2 I think it is less likely that such restructuring will be done, so doing it as part of the porting process is valuable.

On the one hand, I agree. This is a great opportunity to do a lot of refactoring and optimization that is now possible thanks to the features of ROS2. On the other hand, I am strongly in favor of incremental development. You're almost suggesting to go for a re-implementation, meaning big steps, premature optimization, the introduction of new bugs and changes in behavior. This makes the step towards ROS2 bigger instead of smaller. Also, I think we should trust the community to contribute to the restructuring of nodes, especially after many people moved to ROS2. JMHO

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/introduction-of-persistent-systems-to-ros2-initiative/6656/7) or reply to this email to respond.