[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] ROS2 Embedded SIG meeting

Borja Outerelo ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:36:43 UTC 2018

Here you can find the meeting notes.

If any of the attendees want his names/companies removed from them I can do it.

# ROS 2 Embedded SIG meeting Agenda 11/05

05 NOVEMBER 2018 17:00 PM, Hangouts Meet.

## ATTENDEES

* eProsima: Jaime Martin, Borja Outerelo

* Bosch: Ingo Ltkebohle

* Acutronic: Iigo Muguruza

* eSOL: Akihiko Tsukuda, Shoji Morita (supporting Renesas, https://www.esol.com/embedded/emcos.html)

* Amazon: Nick Burek

* Renesas: Osamu Max Matshushima

* AIST: Geoffrey Biggs

## AGENDA

### Quick presentations

Quick presentations on each of the attendees.

By turns, each of the attendees introduces themselves. Check Attendees section for the list.

### Embedded ROS 2 Design

Summary of the current status of the design.

PR on ROS2 Design:

https://github.com/ros2/design/pull/197

Original design doc from OFERA/microROS:

https://github.com/microROS/design/blob/embedded_ROS2/articles/embedded.md

#### Discussion

_Ingo:_ What kind of devices we are targeting?

_Geoffrey Biggs:_ Possible two targets:

Bigger devices using the current stack.

Smaller devices using something more like rosserial.

_Iigo:_ We are not very far from small devices on OFERA project we are squeezing the sizes with pretty good results (XRCE-DDS client is taking ~4k RAM)

_Nick:_ We are looking at TurtleBot. We don't think we need a smaller implementation.

They have one implementation targeting Arduino, extending TurtleBot that is already integrated on Arduino platform.

_Ingo:_ May OSRF can help with some optimisations and modularisation on RCL and RMW.

Ingo & Geoffrey Biggs:

One of the most significant issues is the statically concept in RCL and RMW.

_Ingo:_ We should engage OSRF for ensuring the success of this work. Some layers will need to be modified in future.

### Current work review

List and review of currently available approaches.

_Borja:_ The current release of OFERA/micro-ROS:

https://discourse.ros.org/t/rmw-microxrcedds-implementation/6727

Projects GitHub page:

https://github.com/microROS

_Nick:_

https://github.com/awslabs/aws-ros-client-library-microcontrollers

Very thin wrapper over Micro XRCE-DDS with pretty simple basic ROS 2 concepts.

Don't need to touch ROS 2 core.

Having a lot of rosserial users, It looks a good idea to have a migration path to ROS 2.

**Open question:** Is the use case people bringing ROS 2 nodes to microcontrollers or just implementing specific nodes?

_Ingo:_ People worrying about minimal impact will do their custom implementation.

People on ROS 2 community side, may want the full stack approach.

If we can get RCL/RMW really small would be the ideal approach.

_Nick:_ H-ROS is other interesting approach using microprocessors. But how small they are targeting?.

_Iigo:_ H-ROS uses H-RIM to set a standard information model to be able to plug and play components.

H-ROS would like to integrate microcontrollers.

_Ingo:_ We plan to benchmark the memory usage of the provided solutions.

We think that the messages buffers are probably the biggest consumers.

_Nick:_ Will be Lovely to have measures on current consumption of RMW and RCL

_Osamu Max Matshushima:_ RTOS is the biggest consumer on the system. In our POC FreeRTOS uses more ram than Micro XRCE-DDS implementation. TCP/IP stack included.

Link to the source code?

_Borja:_ You can select the protocol you want to use under micro XRCE-DDS: TCP, UDP, Serial even personalise yours.

_Ingo:_ We use FreeRTOS on XDK, see https://xdk.bosch-connectivity.com/hardware

### Further actions

Organisation and further actions of a joint effort towards embedded ROS 2.

_Ingo:_ Trying to get further information on the RCL and RMW implementation.

Maybe engage in a discussion on the size of the layers once we have some data.

_Iigo & Ingo & Borja:_

RTOS implementation for later.

_Osamu Max Matshushima:_

Provide POC code.

### AP

Provide some demos for memory usage measures.

_Planning:_ Alternate time approach for setting meeting times.

_Planning:_ Meets to be set for every two weeks.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-embedded-sig-meeting/6645/3) or reply to this email to respond.