[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [MoveIt!] Open Letter to MoveIt! Community

Geoffrey Biggs ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 23:44:12 UTC 2018

[quote="davetcoleman, post:3, topic:6779"]

This is getting trickier now that ROS1 releases are every 2 years. Software likes to develop faster than 2 year cycles, so I think we will need to come up with new release approaches outside of the ROS distro system. ROS originally was released every 6 months, which is fast enough to allow the packages to sync to the distros. Im not sure what a good alternative is, heres some ideas:

1. Everyone builds newer releases from source, using perhaps git tags

2. We setup our own debian repositories url like Gazebo does ([packages.osrfoundation.org](http://packages.osrfoundation.org))

3. We offer debians for direct download

I agree that we shouldnt be breaking a ROS distro except perhaps the latest one.

[/quote]

I don't think there is anything stopping you having multiple versions of moveit in a single ROS release. You just need to name the packages appropriately and ensure you prevent two versions being installed at once (or allow it but document how to choose which is compiled against).

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/open-letter-to-moveit-community/6779/5) or reply to this email to respond.