[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Quality Assurance] To avoid undesired change in .rviz

Isaac I. Y. Saito ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:15:39 UTC 2018

Although this is such a small topic, this issue has taken away non-trivial amount of our time...

TL;DR I've seen quite a few pull requests that include unintended changes in `.rviz` files. How are people avoiding this to happen?

The file records a lot of states of the RViz window including the size of the main window, orientation of the view, open/close status of each menu etc, all of which are very nice IMO. It's just the pull requester verifies the change using the same .rviz file, changing the size of windows, views etc. that may or may not be essential to the pull request s/he's planning to open, and commit all the files changed including .rviz.

I can think of some easy workaround but these might be far from ideal..
- Add `*.rviz` to `.gitignore` -> When you want to commit a change to .rviz, it won't show up in commitable file list.
- Change *.rviz to non-writable -> When you need to change it, you need admin, meaning you may run RViz as a root. I'm not sure about any side-effect..

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/to-avoid-undesired-change-in-rviz/6270/1) or reply to this email to respond.