[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 perception porting status

Adam Allevato ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 16:17:44 UTC 2018

I would agree with the decision to avoid poor-performing packages to ROS2. In general, the large number of ROS1 packages can be daunting for someone who is just starting out, especially when it's not immediately clear which of those packages are considered "best practice" or are even actively maintained. The ROS QA group should help alleviate this but I think the easiest way to make it clear is to simply not make older outdated packages available in ROS 2.

On this topic, I notice that we have no object detector package available, either in this list or in ROS2. The "standard" answer to this problem, Object Recognition Kitchen, has not seen updates in quite some time, so I would argue that it is not the best candidate going forward. It would be great if the community could find an existing package that fills that gap for object detection.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-perception-porting-status/6231/4) or reply to this email to respond.