[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

andreaspasternak ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:52:59 UTC 2018

As a DDS person and someone who built distributed industrial robotics systems I can tell you that partitions are by far the best way to go when trying to build such a system. DDS partitions are hierarchical and support wildcards.

So the general approach is to publish all robot internal data on a partition called 'robot-X'.

It gets more complicated when other systems like a global TF is involved. So a robot might want to know all local TFs and TFs provided by a external map server but not TFs from other robots. In this case the robot can subscribe to its local partition and to a global partition.

Also, the use case of remote diagnostic systems is covered as they can on demand access all topics of a specific robot by just accessing the proper partition.

I think it is really important to remove dependency of ROS 2 from DDS partitions and open them up for usage of the end user.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/10) or reply to this email to respond.