[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Informal Meetings of Special Interest Groups

Mikael Arguedas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:31:15 UTC 2018

Summary from the ROSCon cross-compilation Meetup:

Current issues faced by users cross compiling ROS 2:

- lack of Python or third party library support in the instructions currently hosted on the ros2-for-arm organization.

- lack of instructions + sysroot for Android compilation makes it hard to compile high level packages and demos

Suggestions:
- Provide a single place for aggregating cross-compilation instructions
- Community members can modify the content to add instructions for their platform/architecture.
- Community members will also be in charge of testing / updating the instructions they provided if necessary.
- Possible location: a page on the ros2 wiki with section for each platform/architecture.

- Leveraging existing toolchains and infrastructure (@esteve suggested [polly](https://github.com/ruslo/polly)) could reduce maintenance effort and provide better experience for users.

- contributors can elect to provide a sysroot to allow installing and linking against target libraries more easily.

I unfortunately don't have the full list of attendees, @nuclearsandwich @wjwwood @filipe.rinaldi @pokitoz @lmayencourt feel free to add missing information or @ attending participants I didn't tag above.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-informal-meetings-of-special-interest-groups/6151/21) or reply to this email to respond.