[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Lou Amadio ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 20:46:47 UTC 2018

(I'd like to prefix this by saying I haven't looked into the ROS bridge recently as we've been focused on ROS1 on Windows bring up. If my comments are invalid or otherwise cringeworthy, please disregard.)

One of the lessons from surviving multiple API transitions in Windows - you will fragment your developer ecosystem if the API set differences are too large. The best API transitions I've been through, are the ones where the API transition is gradual. ([Ship of Theseus](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus) comes to mind)

Is there opposition to making changes to ROS1 to make it ROS2 aware, in order to make the transition gradual?

(Admittedly trivial) Examples of these changes:

Making it so a single workspace can host both ROS1 & ROS2 could help ease the pain. What is the feasibility of making Catkin *"Ament aware"*, and ament *"Catkin aware"*, so that you can drop a ros2 node into a catkin build and have it Just Work(TM)?

Would it be feasible to make roslaunch auto-start the ros bridge when launching a ROS2 node?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/11) or reply to this email to respond.