[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:26:33 UTC 2018

[quote="mkhansen, post:9, topic:6155"]

Declaring Melodic the last ROS1 LTS allows Open Robotics to focus their very limited resources on getting ROS2 to feature complete (Actions, etc) and production quality over the next few releases rather than splitting those resources across projects. Making Melodic the last ROS1 release doesnt kill ROS now, it kills it in 2023

[/quote]

Well, maybe not now, but in 2019/2020 (when the next normal release / LTS release is due). We need to continue with the regular release schedule past that point for the reasons I outlined in my previous post.

I fully agree with @ooeygui's  suggestion to make the API transition gradual in order not to split the developer base. Not out of charity for ROS1, but to give ROS2 a shot at survival; I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that ROS2 would win if the developer base is split at this point.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/12) or reply to this email to respond.