[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:30:19 UTC 2018

[quote="tkruse, post:13, topic:6155"]
OSRF can just going to stop the buildfarm for Melodic, then how will the ROS1 community survive? There would have to be a thrid alternative to an OSRF supported ROS1 and an OSRF supported ROS2.
[/quote]

If OSRF were to do that, there would be a fork. All those companies and research labs deeply invested in ROS wouldn't just say "well, it's been fun, I guess we're just going to do something else now". Everything necessary to run one's own build farm is open source, so it's not like OSRF have a kill switch for ROS in their hands that they can push at any time. But probably there wouldn't be just one, but multiple forks; also, without a source of funding, it's unclear to me how the fork would be able to keep up the quality of support that OSRF is providing at the moment. Thus the "chaos, confusion and pain" I mentioned in my earlier post.

That said, I have confidence in OSRF to do The Right Thing(tm) (i.e., not trying to actively kill ROS), and I really believe Brian  when he's saying they're not a gang of super villains. :smiley:

Your points about the shim are very good. I get the same vibe that it's not going to happen, but I still believe we would really need one for the reasons that @ooeygui listed. :cry:

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/14) or reply to this email to respond.