[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Moritz Tenorth ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 19:06:54 UTC 2018

I agree with Martin. As a company building solutions based on ROS 1, porting all of our code base to a new middleware would be a major effort. Our robots perform mobile picking in warehouses, where performance and reliability demands require a well-understood system. Exchanging the foundation of this very complex system and getting to a similar performance level again will not be an easy step.

And even if there was a script for doing many of the basic steps, the real work begins afterwards when you discover and fix all the bugs related to a different communication model, bugs in the still fresh and mildly tested libraries, in core components etc that often only appear after long-term operation (cf. some of the bugs in roscore my colleagues have reported and fixed)

Since many of the new features of ROS 2 are not really required for our use case, we would have to decide whether it makes more sense for us to migrate, or to fork and build, in addition to our own packages, also the required ROS core packages. The latter would definitely not be my preferred outcome, and I hope that we can find either a good migration path or ways for maintaining both versions for a longer time.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/16) or reply to this email to respond.