[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Actions in ROS 2

Jonathan Meyer ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 00:11:58 UTC 2018

I'd like to raise an issue that is perhaps not relevant to most but that you may not have considered: The current action client &  server implementations are insanely slow with large work-loads. This is (probably) mostly an implementation issue, but please keep it in mind when conducting tests.

I have previously worked on `planning servers` used for computing robot arm motion plans and have needed these servers to service "highly parallel" work loads. Think about the Moveit planning server, but with the ability to submit many goals and to provide an ordering to them.

The applications I worked with required the computation of thousands of such plans. I used actions to track the motion plans through their life-cycle (e.g. pending, planning, done). If I opened 1000 plans, I would frequently see the planning finish within 5 seconds followed by up to 50 seconds of serialization as goals are passed back and forth.

Unfortunately, I can't share this particular code but I can write a representative test case if you are interested.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/actions-in-ros-2/6254/10) or reply to this email to respond.