[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS 2 Collaboration Bulletin Board

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 08:45:34 UTC 2018

@prasenjitdan I also came here to comment about all the packages you're going to convert to ROS2. First off: Thanks for doing that, it seems that ROS2 is really taking off now!

Are you planning on forking the existing ROS1 packages into separate repos for ROS2? If yes, I believe that would be a very bad idea. IMO, ROS2 versions of packages should remain in the same repo as the ROS1 version under a new branch called `ros2` or similar. For example, this is how it was done for `vision_msgs`:

https://github.com/Kukanani/vision_msgs

The reason why I believe this is important is that when you do a fork, the ROS1 and ROS2 versions will diverge over time. When they remain in the same repo, there is a higher chance of changes being backported between the versions. This is especially important for msg packages; we don't want inconsistent definitions of msgs between ROS1 and ROS2!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-2-collaboration-bulletin-board/2239/40) or reply to this email to respond.