[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Thibault Kruse ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 07:27:24 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 9:35 AM gerkey via ros-users <ros-users at lists.ros.org> wrote:

> Since leaving Willow Garage in 2012, we've received approximately $0 directed at maintenance or improvement of ROS 1.

Since Open Robotics has been paying developers since 2012 who maintained ROS1, do we have to infer that you have embezzled funds received by investing in ROS1?

> time that we spend on ROS 1 is time that that we're not spending on ROS 2, thereby (further) delaying the development of the latter.
> And the risk in that delay is also real: at some point organizations that eagerly want ROS 2 because ROS 1 doesn't meet their needs will decide to stop waiting and instead build or buy something else, likely a proprietary solution.

It would seem all organizations in scope already had or have bought or built something else in the past. So how is that a risk?

What you seem to mean is that any additional delay reduces the trust of organizations in Open Robotics. But trust is not a matter of how fast ROS2 is delivered. Trust is gained e.g. by making realistic estimates and delivering on them, regardless of how long it takes. Or by being transparent about the software creation process. More basically: Of acting professionally. Sacrificing the ROS1 community does not look professional, it looks desperate. And since ROS1 businesses are at stake here, pulling the rug from under them does not make Open Robotics appear more trustworthy.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/25) or reply to this email to respond.