[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Vilas Chitrakaran ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:52:04 UTC 2018

>A: continue waiting for ROS2
B: build or buy something else
C: Provide a dev-seat equivalent of 8-9 person-months every 2 years

Just throwing my perspective here, having worked for a variety of robotics startups over the last few years. Option A is not an option - If ROS1 can't be used for it's fundamental deficiencies, then they either need ROS2 or an alternative to ROS. Option C is not an easy one either - most developers who actually write code do not have control over the purse strings - it's not always easy to convince management to opt for C when that money could just as easily be allocated to buy a license or support contract for alternate solutions so that they have a chance of delivering a product now.

I am one of those roboticists eagerly waiting for ROS2 to mature. I still have to deliver to my employer - so if ROS2 is delayed, I will go with option B. It's a no brainer, really.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/27) or reply to this email to respond.