[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Devon Ash ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 06:23:26 UTC 2018

At the end of the day. Development will go where money requires it to. There are many business leaders in this thread who have knowledge of this information of where they are allocating their resources towards. I think if one goes through and reads through the responses, in most cases it is clear whether or not they are interested in putting resources towards ROS1 willingly (or because of due diligence).

For an effort this large, its probably best to write some scripts that reasonably translates some code patterns into ROS2 code patterns. Either that, or provide a shim at a clever spot. Either that, or a giant blog post/cheat sheet from an expert who has done a ROS1->ROS2 transition of their code base.

Does anyone know of an existing ROS2 robot that has been transitioned from ROS1? I would be up to analyze some code and see if there is a potential static translation/best effort translation I could write a script for for most ROS nodes.

What I potentially see in this is a service (yes, $$) that helps businesses port their code from ROS1->ROS2 in a timely manner. Not everyone needs to go through this manually for all parts. For such a large community and a large open source code base - automation here is a winning strategy for all.

@gerkey @rgariepy @mikeferguson @wdsmart @gavanderhoorn Is anyone on your teams doing something like this? Are you guys allocating resources towards it? How many of you would utilise something like this?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/39) or reply to this email to respond.