[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:06:28 UTC 2018

[quote="bgmoon, post:37, topic:6155"]

As a commercial company just joining the ROS wave, we see absolutely no reason to do anything with ROS1. ROS2 on the other hand is very attractive for many of the reason that you point out.

[/quote]

I've observed this phenomenon several times in the past. New company joins the "ROS wave", spends lots of resources to build their system based on the state of the art in ROS, and sometimes even contributes some great stuff back. After this initial investment, the effort is redirected to maintenance, tailoring the code to specific customers, and sales. There is rarely a willingness to adopt whatever has become the new state of the art in ROS, if there is no clear benefit to the company's use case.

[quote="bgmoon, post:37, topic:6155"]

We dont see ROS1 as a commercially viable technology base, at least not for our markets (which are personal defense and security robots.)

[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with ROS1 for some markets, and there are successful companies based on it. As @Dejan_Pangercic pointed out, ROS2 provides some features that are required for other industries, and yours is probably one of them.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/43) or reply to this email to respond.