[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 perception porting status

Michael Ferguson ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 23:45:53 UTC 2018

[quote="Kukanani, post:4, topic:6231"]

On this topic, I notice that we have no object detector package available, either in this list or in ROS2. The standard answer to this problem, Object Recognition Kitchen, has not seen updates in quite some time, so I would argue that it is not the best candidate going forward. It would be great if the community could find an existing package that fills that gap for object detection.

[/quote]

I think the challenge here is that object recognition isn't "solved", as most would consider robot navigation or arm planning (I know "solved" is a loaded term, but I hope it conveys the idea here, the navigation stack works about 80% of the time for a large portion of the robots out there. ORK in contrast has a hard time keeping up with changes in consumer packaging, and only supported ~60 or so objects at the time it was released, if I recall correctly). There are numerous cutting-edge research packages out there, but many of them aren't maintained because the authors move onto better algorithms and approaches.

-Fergs

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-perception-porting-status/6231/10) or reply to this email to respond.